StraitPASS for Confederation bridge and other toll bridges
Click on the map to open toll wiki for a country/state
What is StraitPASS
The StraitPASS, a transponder (tag), is an automatic post-pay toll collection system linked to a user’s credit card. It eliminates the direct use of cash, credit cards, certified cheques, money orders or gift certificates by utilizing a transponder mounted in the windshield to identify vehicles and authorize payment of the toll as a credit card transaction.
With two dedicated toll lanes, StraitPASS provides customers with faster transaction experience in addition to online account management. Tolls are post-paid as part of the customers’ monthly credit card statement.
For StraitPass holders who require it, multiple transponders may be assigned to a single account, providing a convenient and efficient way to keep track of your company’s and/or family’s crossings and toll costs.
You can calculate your trip's tolls and gas costs to travel across Prince Edward Bridge with StraitPASS using the StraitPASS Toll Calculator. The calculator also shows the toll plaza(s) locations en route, payment methods, discounts applied for your vehicle type and more.
Where can I use StraitPASS
StraitPASS is primarily used to cross the Confederation Bridge. Famous among frequent travelers of the Prince Edward Island, it act as an automatic post-pay toll collection system linked to a user’s credit card.
StraitPass can be used at multiple toll facilities across the Maritimes including the Halifax Dartmouth Bridge Commission’s MacDonald and MacKay Bridges (MACPASS); the Halifax Stanfield International Airport Parking Lots (MACPASS); and the Cobequid Pass (E-Pass).
How to get StraitPASS
If you are a new StraitPASS user, you can apply online for a StraitPASS account on their website.
- If you already have a transponder from the Halifax Dartmouth Bridge Commission or Cobequid Pass Toll Highway, you do not need to purchase another one. Simply select that you “already have a transponder” under Step 3 of the Account Application and provide your existing transponder serial number in the appropriate field to register it as a StraitPASS.
- If you do not have a transponder, Strait Crossing Bridge Limited will provide one to you at a non-refundable cost of $40.
How to mount StraitPASS
Instructions for proper installation and a mounting template are provided with your transponder. It is important that these instructions are followed in order to ensure the transponder is properly read by the antenna/receiver at the toll plaza. If you do not have your StraitPASS mounting instructions, please review the following:
- Step 1: Using an alcohol pad, clean the area of the windshield where the StraitPASS transponder will be mounted. If you do not have an alcohol pad, standard rubbing alcohol and a cotton pad may be used.
- Step 2: Peel off the paper from the back of the velcro tab on your transponder.
- Step 3: Position your transponder on the inside of the windshield, behind the rearview mirror. It is best to mount your transponder in the center of the windshield where the mirror hides it from view. The transponder must be mounted at least one inch from the edge of the windshield and two inches from the antenna of a remote car starter. For commercial vehicles with split windshields, place your transponder to the right of the split at the bottom of your windshield, to the right of the split.
- Step 4: Press your transponder firmly against the glass.
- For sticker transponders: To install, peel backing off of the sticker and affix directly to the interior of your vehicle’s windshield. Recommended placement is in the area behind the rear view mirror, a minimum of 5cm from any metal objects.
NOTE: For security purposes, StraitPASS sticker transponder is designed to be placed only once. Attempts to reposition following installation will result in damage to the sticker that may render it unreadable in the Confederation Bridge toll plaza.
Calculate tolls for Prince Edward Island and other provinces or territories of Canada
Calculate routes, tolls and fuel costs for your travel by car, truck, taxi, bus, caravans (with or without a trailer) in Prince Edward Island and other provinces/territories of Canada using TollGuru Trip Calculator. It also shows the cheapest, fastest and other optimal routes to your destination along with toll plaza(s) location en route, payment methods and more.
Rideshare, OEM, TMS, fleet companies and other transport businesses can leverage toll intelligence by integrating with the TollGuru Toll API for pre-trip calculation and post-trip reconciliation.